Job Shadowing & Observation Program
Decatur Morgan Hospital provides job shadowing opportunities for students on a limited basis. You will learn about a job role through observation and interactions with staff. The Job Shadowing and Observation Program provides unpaid, observational hours only. Direct patient care is prohibited for any shadow or student observation.
You must be able to identify a DMH staff member or medical staff member in good standing who has agreed to allow you to shadow them. Clinical Support Services may assist you in identification of a DMH staff member. Identification of mid-level providers and physicians must be arranged prior to application.
- You must be at least 16 years of age and a high school junior. Shadowers/Observers requesting to shadow/observe in the operating room, procedural areas and ERs must be at least 18 years of age and a high school senior, unless prior approval obtained.
- You must have parental consent if you are a high school student or less than 18 years of age.
- DMH allows up to 40 hours for high school and college students and up to 4 weeks for medical school or post grad students.
The following items are required for all individuals requesting to participate in the Shadow/Observation Program:
- Evidence of TB skin test within the past 12 months
- Proof of immunizations
(MMR, Varicella, Tdap, and Influenza during active flu season)
- Photo identification
- Attestation of the completion of the Shadowing/Observation Program self study orientation packet
Please complete the Shadowing/Observation Program application packet, containing the Shadowing/Observation Program Application and the Contract and Shadowing Self Study Orientation. When you've completed all forms return them along with additional paperwork, photo identification, evidence of TB skin tests and proof of immunizations to Tina McGrath, Manager, Clinical Support Services.
Decatur Morgan Hospital
Contact : Tina McGrath, Manager, Clinical Support Services
1201 7th Street SE
Decatur, AL 35601
Once you receive an approval email, a temporary student badge will be available. Please make arrangements to pick up your badge from Clinical Support Services. A $20 refundable fee will be collected when you receive your badge. Money will be refunded upon return of badge.